The purpose of this assignment is to get us setup for the course, both by getting to know each other better, and by setting up the software environment.
Personal Survey (5 Pts)
I gave a couple of fun facts about myself in the class, but I want to get to know you all better. So please submit answers to the following questions as a private message to me on Microsoft Teams
- Your Name, Your Nickname (if applicable) / Preferred Pronouns
- What is your reason for taking the course? (Blunt honesty is perfectly fine here, if applicable)
- What are you majoring in / interested in majoring in?
- What do you think you might want to do after Ursinus?
- Have you had any experience with computer science / programming? (It's okay if you haven't!)
- What are you most excited about in this course?
- What are you the most worried about in this course?
- What do you think you might do for your final project? Do you have another faculty member you'd like to have be involved?
- A fun fact about yourself
- Anything else you think I should know?
- Please attach a headshot to your message. I will use this to help get to know your name, but we will also use this in class to arrange groups.
Doodle Poll for Office Hours
You will not be graded on this, but I want to setup my office hours so that everyone can make at least one of them. Please click here and put a checkbox next to every hour block in which you can attend at least 30 minutes in your schedule. You may use a pseudonym if you wish.
Software Environment (5 pts)
Please follow the directions on the software page to install Anaconda Python on your computer. Once you have Python installed, click here to download some code that we will use to test it, and place it in your
IDS301 folder (or wherever else you plan to store your class projects..but it is recommended that you keep them organized and back them up regularly). Then, open Spyder, and go to
and open the
test.py file that you just downloaded. Finally, click the run button, which looks like this:
Then, send me a screenshot of the image that pops up in the console to the right of Spyder, using a private message on Microsoft Teams (5pts)
Please be sure also that you are able to launch Jupyter. We will be using this in class for the first two weeks before we switch over to Spyder.
Syllabus (5 pts)
Please take a moment to familiarize yourself with the course syllabus. Then, please send me a third and final message on Microsoft Teams with the answers to the following questions
- True/False: If you choose to work with a buddy, you are allowed to look at your buddy's code and show them your code
- True/False: You may look at any classmate's code on assignments.
- What happens if you show up after the lecture has already started?
- What is my longest possible response lag on Microsoft Teams during the week?
- How do you ask an anonymous question on Microsoft Teams?